2012 – A year in review
2011 was always going to be a tough year to improve on, given the amount of publicity we had! So instead of trying to grow more, we wanted to make sure we kept the audience and improve our offering.
In early January, we moved to a new high availability cloud based server. It was a nice step up from our previous set up and the extra bandwidth was welcome. Nearly 12 months on and we are getting close to looking to take the plunge to a VPS or dedicated server. Cost is the big thing…a couple of thousand per year! Stay tuned.
Also in January, we launched our sister site, Prepaid on Sale. A site dedicated to helping find discounts on prepaid mobile/data plans. It’s been a little up and down during the year, but with a new face on board (Chris) we are going to give it another shot to see if it will take off.
Throughout the year, we were also in a few Lifehacker features. In May, they listed iTunes cards as something you should never pay full price for and referenced us as a source of deals. Then in November, they listed us as one of the five best deal sites in Australia. This was a big surprise, and was a big achievement for us given we’ve only been around for three years.
Even though we didn’t have a massive year for publicity, your sharing and a stream of deals has helped the site grow yet again!
- Total visits – up +27% compared to 2011
- Pageviews – up +20% compared to 2011
- Unique visitors – up +29% – compared to 2011
Top 3 deals for 2012 (based on page views)
- December – 2 x $20 iTunes gift cards for $30 at Harvey Norman
- December – Epic iTunes deal at 7 Eleven, 30% off all iTunes cards
- August – 20% off iTunes cards at BP Service Stations
The most talked about deals (based on number of comments)
- August – 20% off iTunes cards at BP Service Stations – 34 comments
- May – 2 x $20 iTunes cards for $30 at Harvey Norman – 27 comments
- December – Epic iTunes deal at 7 Eleven, 30% off all iTunes cards – 22 comments
Social Network Counters
- Facebook – 1,711 people follow the page (up from 883 in 2011)
- Twitter – 2,228 people following (up from 1,723 in 2011)
- Google Plus -35 people following (up from 10 in 2011) I dropped the ball with G+ this year!
- RSS – 1,679 subscribed to the feed (up from 1,188 in 2011)
- Email newsletter – 849 subscribers (up from 461 in 2011)
- Google Calendar – Unfortunately, I can’t find out how exactly how many subscribers we have for this, although according to the reader survey – there are at least 11 subscribers!
Thank you to all of you for your support and readership this year. It’s your positive emails and comments that keep us going!
We still want to hear from you! If you haven’t filled out the 2012 Reader Survey, there’s still time. Please take 15 minutes to help us make the site better.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Rowan & Tim